[Tutor] OT: Vim was: free IDE for Python?

Mike Hansen Mike.Hansen at atmel.com
Fri Nov 17 16:20:22 CET 2006

________________________________

From: tutor-bounces at python.org on behalf of Senthil_OR at Dell.com
Sent: Thu 11/16/2006 10:32 PM
To: alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Cc: tutor at python.org
Subject: Re: [Tutor] OT: Vim was: free IDE for Python?

Hi Alan,
        Greetings.

Alan Gauld wrote:
>> I have to chuckle when you recommend Vim for ease of use.
>
> Me too, and I've been a vi/elvis/viper/vim user for over 20 years(*).
> vi/vim could never be described as easy to learn, but...

I too use vim for a variety of editing tasks. From xml, python to normal
text editing, not  a power user yet.
Do you have any tips/tricks to share for python on vim. Your vimrc file
or any plugins you use.

How would you run the python script from vim?
- !python %
OR any other way? I dislike the command line window popup to execute the
scripts. (and press Enter key twice).
I kindda wish, that <Hot-Key> for !python % should :split the window and
display the results for non-interactive run.
If interactive session, the cmd.exe could stay open..

What the settings of ppl using vim for python?

--
Senthil

Here's what I'm doing. Not sure if it's that helpful to you.

I use the mini-buffer explorer plug-in and the taglist plugin.

set smartindent

" shuts off the annoying "#" comment in smartindent to jump to col 1
inoremap # X<c-h>#

autocmd BufRead *.py set smartindent cinwords=if,elif,else,for,while,try,except,finally,def,class

I've mapped a key to run pyflakes and display the results in a different buffer

:new | r!pyflakes #

Mike