[Tutor] What is a Python "project"?

Dick Moores rdm at rcblue.com
Thu Oct 5 19:10:39 CEST 2006

At 03:00 PM 10/3/2006, Brian van den Broek wrote:
>I've never used Wing, but unless its `project' concept is radically
>different than many other editors, it isn't about organizing the files
>on disk. Rather, it is about organizing a group of files into a
>collection the editor can open in one swell foop. The idea is to
>liberate you from having to recall just where the files live and allow
>you to merely open a group of related files and get on with what
>you're up to. (It is sort of like saving a group of tabs in firefox.)
>
>Best,
>
>Brian vdB

I thought I'd check with Wingware support:

========email to Winware support================
I asked the Python Tutor list what a project is, and got many answers.
Does this one correctly characterize what a project means with
WingIDE?

"I've never used Wing, but unless its `project' concept is radically
different than many other editors, it isn't about organizing the files
on disk. Rather, it is about organizing a group of files into a
collection the editor can open in one swell foop. The idea is to
liberate you from having to recall just where the files live and allow
you to merely open a group of related files and get on with what
you're up to. (It is sort of like saving a group of tabs in firefox.)"

Thanks,

Dick Moores

=============reply from Wingware support============
Not quite.  A project is the set of files that you write that compose an
application -- or a set of related scripts.  They're files that are
related to one, well, project ;).  Wing displays all of the files in the
project pane, lets you search all files in the project easily, displays
all classes defined in the project, among other things (at least in the
Pro version).  Project files also can share common setting such as
python executable, environment variable.  One file may also be set as
the main debug file so it's the one always run when you press the start
debug icon or F5.

You might have all files in a project open at once in a small project,
but you probably don't want them all open once you get over maybe 10 files.

John

===========email to Wingware support===========
Thanks for all that info, John. But is his point correct that the
files in a project don't need to be together in the same folder,
nor do they need to be moved at all in order to participate in the
project (I've fleshed his point out a bit)?

Dick

=========reply from Wingware support============
Yes, the files don't need to be in the same folder.  As a practical
matter, it's a good idea to put them in a small number of folders
though.  Otherwise, they'd be scattered all over the disk.

Cheers,

John