[Tutor] What after Learning Python 2nd

wesley chun wescpy at gmail.com
Mon Oct 9 21:01:20 CEST 2006

> > Hi I have finished Learning Python 2nd ed.
> > What to do next?
> > Should I go with Programming Python book or Python Cookbook or?
> > Or maybe something else?
>
> However, LP should've left you with just enough knowledge to be
> dangerous, so I'd encourage you to work on several small projects in
> python using what you already know. In the process of taking a crack
> at those, you'll surely want to do some things that will give you a
> good idea of what resources you need to tackle next.

hi josip,

rob is right.  you should really start cranking out some code.

from the book perspective, LP is similar to Beginning Python (Hetland)
or Dive into Python (Pilgrim), all of which are great intros to get
your feet wet with Python.

the two books you suggested point you in different directions:

Programming Python should be used if you want to see many different
case studies using Python in all kinds of ways, most with large bodies
of application code.

The Cookbook is used to see code snippets to perform specific tasks.
the code is usually much shorter are typically not complete
applications.

another (unbiased?) suggestion would be my book, Core Python, which
just came out a few weeks ago.  it takes the 3 books i mentioned above
and dives much deeper into how Python works under the covers, with the
goal of making you more of an effective Python programmer in as short
of a time as possible. plus there are many interesting exercises at
the end of every chapter, a great place to start really getting some
coding under your belt.

hope this helps and good luck!
-- wesley
    http://corepython.com