[Tutor] Please comment on this code...WORD FREQUENCY COUNTER

Asrarahmed Kadri ajkadri at googlemail.com
Mon Oct 23 23:03:10 CEST 2006

Folks,

I have written a program which calculates teh frequency of each word that
appears in a file. I would like to have your feedback.
*This program only handles .txt files. I want it to handle word documents
also. How to accomplish this ..???*

Thanks.
Regards.
Asrarahmed

*Code is as under:*
**

 fname = raw_input("Enter the file name to be opened")

fd = open(fname, 'r')

done = 0
dict1 = {}               # create an empty dictionary to hold word as a key
and its freq. as the value
while not done:
    aLine = fd.readline()
    if aLine != "" :
        string1 = aLine.split()
        for item in string1:
            dict1[item] = 0  #enter each word as the key and intial value as
0
    else:
        done = 1

fd.seek(0,0)                                          # go to the beginning
of the file

done = 0
while not done:
    aLine = fd.readline()                          # read one line at a time
    if aLine != "" :
        string1 = aLine.split()                   # split the line into a
list of words...
        for item in string1:
            dict1[item] += 1 # counter for the word
    else:
        done = 1

print "Word \t Frequency"
for k,v in dict1.iteritems():                 # print the word and its
corresponding frequency
    print k, "\t\t", v

--
To HIM you shall return.