[Tutor] python24dll not found

Chris Hallman challman at gmail.com
Wed Feb 7 15:33:03 CET 2007

My apologies if this isn't the correct forum for such a question, however I
was having a problem with Python and couldn't find the cause. I have two
systems running Python. My laptop and a server:

laptop:
WinXP SP2 x86
Python 2.5
pymssql 0.8.0 (for 2.5)
pywin32-210 (for 2.5)

server:
Win2003 no SP dual XEON x86
Python 2.4.1

I develop and test my program on my laptop. I move them to my server and
test again. Then, they go into "production". The few programs I have running
on the server were operating fine until I tried to start running a program
with pymssql. I installed pymssql 0.8.0 (for 2.5) on my laptop so that I
could write and test a new program. When it was ready to move to the server,
I upgraded the server to Python 2.5 and installed pymssql 0.8.0 (for 2.5). I
uninstaled Python 2.4.. The first running of this program gave me a pop-up
error stating that the program failed to start because python24.dll wasn't
found and it recommended reinstalling Python. Python output an error stating
that it couldn't "import _socket". I don't have the exact error because I
was under pressure to restore normal operations. I performed the following:

1. Reinstalled Python 2.5 and execute the program. I received the same
error.
2. Uninstall Python 2.5 and pymssql. Ensure the Python25 directory was
removed. Reinstall Python 2.5 and pymssql. I received the same error.
3. Uninstall Python and pymssql. Ensure the Python25 directory was removed.
Reboot. Reinstall Python 2.5 and pymssql. I received the same error.
4. Uninstall Python 2.5 and pymssql. Ensure the Python25 directory was
removed. Install Python 2.4.2 and pymssql 0.8.0 (for 2.4). The error went
away.

Now all my programs, including the new one, are working again. I have no
clue what caused this. I've searched Google but I can't find a hit similar
to my configuration and situation. Does anyone have an idea as to what could
have caused this?

Chris