[Tutor] origin of the name python

Rikard Bosnjakovic rikard.bosnjakovic at gmail.com
Wed Feb 28 09:18:22 CET 2007

On 2/27/07, Doug Stone <dejstone at pacbell.net> wrote:

> Hi.  I just started investigating Python and was wondering about the origin
> of Python's name.
> What did van Rossum have in-mind when he named Python?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guido_van_Rossum

About the origin of Python, Van Rossum wrote in 1996:

    Over six years ago, in December 1989, I was looking for a "hobby"
programming project that would keep me occupied during the week around
Christmas. My office ... would be closed, but I had a home computer,
and not much else on my hands. I decided to write an interpreter for
the new scripting language I had been thinking about lately: a
descendant of ABC that would appeal to Unix/C hackers. I chose Python
as a working title for the project, being in a slightly irreverent
mood (and a big fan of Monty Python's Flying Circus).

--
- Rikard.