[Tutor] interpreter restarts

jim stockford jim at well.com
Tue Jul 17 18:00:31 CEST 2007

<upon successful ssh into some machine, assuming BASH...>

$ who am i
unohoo
$ which python
/usr/bin/python
$ python
Python 2.3.4 (#1, Mar 20 2006, 00:23:47)
 >>> print 1
1
 >>> help()
<yada yada>
help> quit
 >>> <CTRL D>
$

$ vi doit.py
<up comes vi or vim or some such, you type python code, then :wq>
$ ls
doit.py
$ python doit.py
<output of your program or error messages or both>
$

On Jul 17, 2007, at 8:14 AM, Eric Brunson wrote:

> Sara,
>
> Stick with ssh, IDE's are a crutch.  ;-)
>
> But that's just my opinion, others may differ.
>
> However, if you were running an X server on your local machine, you
> could use SSH to allow you to run GUI programs from your remote server.
> There are a couple of free X servers for Windoze, but running Linux on
> your local machine would give you the greatest success.  If you are
> interested in pursuing this, google up and install an X server, then
> post back.
>
> Sincerely,
> e.
>
> Sara Johnson wrote:
>> Luke, Jacob, et. al...
>>
>> Dumb question (may be slightly off course from what you two were
>> discussing), but are you both describing how to get the IDLE to run
>> along with the editor?  I may just be getting too many things
>> confused.  I've tried to run IDLE, but that's not working.  I have the
>> same function through opening it separately from the Start menu but
>> then it doesn't work as IDLE should work with the editor (or so I've
>> been told that happens).  I can type the word Python in my editor and
>> it comes up, but then the editor is gone.  I've gone so long with just
>> SSH, but at this point it's worth it if I find a way that makes
>> sense.  As someone mentioned from this list, at least it'll be code
>> that is easier to read for a newbie like myself.
>>
>> (Hope that didn't confuse or cause unnecessary headaches...)
>>
>> Sara

>>> "C:\Python25\pythonw.exe" "C:\Python25\Lib\idlelib\idle.pyw" -n -e