[Tutor] build a really simple "json" api from a db

Kent Johnson kent37 at tds.net
Mon Jul 30 23:27:04 CEST 2007

Picio wrote:
> The beginning idea was to build a json API myself. Since I need only
> to generate json from a db, maybe Django is too much. I'm a Django
> beginner. I don't know Turbogears.
> I've not found anything like: "how to build a json api".
> Maybe MySqldb+simplejson is the enough?

I guess it depends on how you expect the site to grow. If your needs are
modest and likely to remain so, maybe a Python CGI that reads data from
MySQL and publishes it with simplejson is fine. You could do this with
Django but for something really simple it's probably not worth the trouble.

But if the site is going to grow, Django adds a lot, including an object
model on top of the database, url dispatching and templated views. If
that will be useful down the road then it might be worth starting with
Django.

Kent