[Tutor] Automatic generation of an "all possible combinations" array

Hugh M hyoogle at gmail.com
Thu Jun 14 15:06:39 CEST 2007

The 2**n different lists that you are seeking have a direct association to
the binary representation of the integers 0 through (2**n)-1.
You can use this fact and the "repeated division method" for converting
numbers between different bases to generate these lists and form the desired
list of lists:

def bit_list_maker(n):
    x = 2**n
    solution_set = []
    for i in range(x):
        this_answer = []
        while i>0:
            this_answer.append(i%2)
            i=i/2
        while len(this_answer)<n:
            this_answer.append(0)
        this_answer.reverse()
        solution_set.append(this_answer)
    return solution_set
*
*
Another fun way to do it is to build up the lists recursively.  The
possibilities for n bits can be built from the possibilities for n-1 bits by
adding a 1 and a 0 to each possibility (ending up with twice as many
elements):

def recursive_bit_list(n):
    if n==1:
        return [[0],[1]]
    else:
        return map(lambda x: x+[0], recursive_bit_list(n-1)) + \
               map(lambda x: x+[1], recursive_bit_list(n-1))

Hope this helps!

-Hugh