[Tutor] how can I compare a local directory or file with a remote one

Lloyd Kvam python at venix.com
Thu Jun 21 15:06:37 CEST 2007

On Wed, 2007-06-20 at 23:51 -0400, Reed O'Brien wrote:
> On Jun 20, 2007, at 2:03 PM, Richard Querin wrote:
>
> > I'm interested in writing a quick script that would run a diff-type
> > command that would compare a local directory to a remote one to
> > identify the changes in the files within that directory.
> >
> > I was initially thinking that I would maybe use the linux diff command
> > in conjunction with the wget command (or something similar) to create
> > a local copy but that involves downloading files. Is there any way in
> > python to do a similar thing but without having to download a copy of
> > the remote files/directories?
> >
> > Any ideas?
> >

> At first blush it sounds to me like you want rsync, as has been
> pointed out.  If on of the systems is running an OS that doesn't come
> with rsync... I have used http://www.vdesmedt.com/~vds2212/rsync.html
> to achieve the same result.

I downloaded the file from the web site, but was disappointed to see
that there appears to be no support for any network transport.  It
simply operates on locally mounted directories.  I only did a cursory
scan of the source code.  Did I miss something?

Certainly the program provides useful example code for file comparisons,
but it does not appear to directly support any kind of remote
processing.

When I need to deal with Windows computers, I sorely feel the lack of
ssh, rsync, and sshfs.

> ~r
Lloyd Kvam
Venix Corp