[Tutor] Python CMS advice wanted

Scott SA pydev at rscorp.ab.ca
Wed Nov 28 08:39:19 CET 2007

On 11/27/07, jim stockford (jim at well.com) wrote:
>    I'd love to know scott's definition of "framework", especially
>contrasting with full-blown CMS.

Yes, when one compares something like Quixote to Zope, there is a _lot_ of middle-ground. They are all frameorks, just with incrementally larger feature-sets (a.k.a. bloat and learning curve). I just anecdotally draw anline in the sand when workflows and content start being managed extensively. With the two names above, I classify the first is a framework, the latter is hel^h^h^h a CMS.

    <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_framework>

>    Frameworks for Python:
>CherryPy · Django · Karrigell · Nevow · Porcupine · Pylons · Spyce ·
>TurboGears · TwistedWeb · Webware · Zope

I just found a new-to-me rather lite framework:
    <http://webpy.org/>

There is also more related info here:
    <http://wiki.python.org/moin/WebProgramming>

A few years old, but still somewhat informative:
    <http://colorstudy.com/docs/shootout.html>
    <http://www.boddie.org.uk/python/web_frameworks.html>

>    Richard, i think from the (very) little investigation i did
>following scott's last post, that you should investigate
>Django. to me it looks like a pretty streamlined "framework"
>that marries a database (your choice of a few) to a web
>server (apache seems their choice) via mod_python.

FastCGI and WSGI are also supported, the latter looks promising. Has an integrated server as well.

>    If you take a look on the top-level page for django
>http://www.djangoproject.com/
>you should see a link for "DRY principle". Click it and
>read and follow the links in the subsequent pages:
>you'll find an easy-to-read, to-the-point set of links to
>coders' wisdom (Don't Repeat Yourself,
>OnceAndOnlyOnce, YouAren'tGonnaNeedIt, and more).
>
>http://www.djangoproject.com/

If nothing else, some of the documentation from the project does cover good general material, as you've pointed out. (I wish I could get my teen-aged kid to figure out the DRY principal... but I digress ;-)

Thanks for the good discussion, Jim. For my part, I think it's  about time for me to stick a fork in it 'cause it's done ;-)

Happy trails!

Scott