[Tutor] vi and python

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Sat Sep 15 10:16:24 CEST 2007

"Danyelle Gragsone" <ladynikon at gmail.com> wrote

> Sorry for the misunderstanding.  Since vim points to vi
> automatically
> I have gotten used to calling it vi.  But I did mean vim.

Just to be picky, vi points to vim. vim is the program vi is an alias.
So if you type vi it executes vim.

But different *nix versions use different editors for vi.
Some use elvis, some even use the original vi! If you ask about vi
you will typically get a response that covers the common subset
that is the original. But that only supports (in a very limited way)
C and Lisp programming features.

vim has several levels of support for Python. It has syntax
highlighting
for python but it can also be found with Python built in as the
scripting
language so you can write vim macros using Python.

HTH,

--
Alan Gauld
Author of the Learn to Program web site