[Tutor] Is there python editor or plugin for a python editor for curly brackets around code blocks?

xbmuncher xboxmuncher at gmail.com
Wed Aug 13 06:45:44 CEST 2008

Yes I think python is great in its simplicity in typing code but not in its
absence of curly brackets to surround code blocks. Personally, it helps me
visually see the code blocks as well as saves me constant pain when the
compiler complains about broken/missing indents in the code.* I think it
would be great if there was an editor for python or a plugin for an existing
program to be able to use curly brackets { } when defining code blocks, and
then maybe with a push of a button it can convert the curly bracket style
code that ignores indents to the indent sensitive code that the python
compiler wants. *It would save me a lot of headache in the way too many
times I'm constantly trying to hunt down indentation problems in code
(usually other people's code). I tried getting different editors with
"auto-identing" as it is listed in the recommend python editors in the
python website. However, these don't suffice in fixing most indenation
problems... They sometimes even make it worse!

Even visually a lot of people write their lines like this:
def funcName(arg):
    bla bla bla
    more content of function
if (this == that)
    do this

Simple indentation errors can be a nightmare in determining whether if
statements and other code blocks are inside of another code block or not....
when all that seperates them is a single bad indent, which could be the
error you're looking for, or what it that way in the begg!

*So if you know of a plugin for a python editor, let me know. :)*
Also, another idea is to edit the compiler somehow or create soem kind of
process/script that all scripts with teh curly brackets will get removed
before being processed... I'd settle for this solution as well if it
exists...

I"m sure I'm not the only one that has contemplated a curly bracket
workaround for python before. :)