[Tutor] Adding ctypes to an application with python 2.2

S. Doron hedetet at gmail.com
Sun Jun 8 21:34:20 CEST 2008

Hello, I'm new to this list. What I'd like to do is add support for pointers
to an old version of python (2.2) in an existing application (a game).
Searching around the web, I found the ctypes module which is supposed to add
this capability to python. However, I didn't quite understand if and how
this could be added (installed) to an existing application which uses
python.
Alternatively, if it's possible (or easier) to just replace the preexisting
version of python with 2.5 by messing around with the dll's somehow,
instructions on how to do so would be welcome.

Some background information - I'm somewhere between a novice and an
intermediate programmer (took intro to C course in university, some
highschool programming, and online python tutorials), but have little
experience in interfacing with windows, dlls, files, etc. In case you're
wondering what I need the pointers for, it's for accessing lower-level
functions from the game's console/script files, that aren't otherwise
available (I've used dir() to get a list of object methods).