[Tutor] IDE

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Tue Jun 10 14:26:08 CEST 2008

"Sean Novak" <snovak at snovak.com> wrote

> I'm looking for the perfect IDE, preferably open source.

Aren't we all! :-)

We used to have editor wars, now its IDE wars...

> someone has tried a few different IDEs and found the one that they
> love..  I'd be interested in your insight!

I've tried many and liked several but none ae perfect.
And some suit different tasks better than others.

The best of all is probably the Dolphin Smalltalk IDE, but it has
the disadvantage of only doing Smalltalk on a Windows box...

I also liked the Borland Delphi IDE around version 3. The later
versions are based on Eclipse with which I have a love/hate
relationship! But Delphi is commercial and doesn't do Python!

I liked ObjectCenter on my Sun workstation, but it costs big
bucks and doesn't do Python.

For Python work, since I assume that's what you are really
interested in, I use Pythonwin for small projects. For bigger jobs
I use vim with a command prompt and an interactive session.
3 windows and Unix or Cygwin to provide the other tools.

Old fashioned, but it's the most productive route for me.

Alan G