[Tutor] IDE

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Wed Jun 11 00:33:15 CEST 2008

"Michael yaV" <michael at yavarsity.com> wrote

> Since I'm on a mac, how about using Xcode?

XCode with the PyObjC bridge is OK for Cocoa work but
as a general purpose IDE is no better than a good editor IMHO.

I still tend to work with 3 windows on the Mac - vim, shell
and Python interactive. I can cut n paste between them
and along with all the Unix tools plus bash command history etc
its just as productive as most IDEs in my experience.

The only thing I do miss in vim over pythonwin is the
tooltips when entering functions, especially if using
something like Tkinter with lots of parameters per method.

I've also used Netbeans and Eclipse with Python add-ons
and both worked in MacOS but on my 600MHz iBook they
were just too slow!

I keep meaning to try emacs mode. I used to be a heavy
emacs user but when I moved to a PC I started using vim
and my fingers have lost their emacs habits.

Alan G.