[Tutor] Pythoncom Tutorial

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Tue May 20 02:00:49 CEST 2008

"FT" <chester_lab at fltg.net> wrote

>    I noticed that when wanting to learn Pythoncom there is no real
> good
> accessible tutorial for it.
>    Does anyone know where a good structured tutorial exists for the
> Com
> utilities so I can write my own screen reader program?

Assuming you mean Pythonwin, the libraries for accessing the
Windows API that come as part of winall then the best tutorial
is the one in Mark Hammond's book "Python Progeramming
on Win32"

But it helps if you have a basic understanding of COM generally,
for example using it from within VBScript. Also familiarity with
the vanilla Windows API documentation helps and that is not
really part of the Pytthon access library. You should find plenty
of tutorials on the raw API on the net.

> the objects and its methods so I can use a python program to read
> and
> verbalize the objects as you focus on them and such. The only
> explanations I
> found either have the descriptions scattered and no examples or
> structure on
> how to use any of the com stuff.

You might find ctypes is better for that kind of thing. COM
is better when you want to remotely control another application
but for interceprting low level Windows messages ctypes
seems like a better approach - although I confess to not
having tried it!

--
Alan Gauld
Author of the Learn to Program web site