[Tutor] Question

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Mon Nov 10 16:40:49 CET 2008

"Python Nutter" <pythonnutter at gmail.com> wrote

> On the Mac I just linked ipython in the config file to nano
> On the iPhone 3G I just linked ipython in the config file to nano
> On the Linux/Ubuntu box I also linked to nano...
>
> hmmm looks like I use nano a lot more than I though ;-)

Nothing to do with Python directly, but I'm curious...

nano is a very popular editor in Unix/Linux circles but I
confess I never could figure out why? Is there something
I'm missing?

What does nano do that vi (or emacs) doesn't? Given that vi
is the "standard" editor on *nix ity would seem the obvious
choice. But everyone seems to be using nano? Why?

PS. I should explain that I used to use Unix a lot but it was
before nano appeared to proliferate so I never used it. Now
I only use *nix occasionally but nano is everywhere it seems.

Alan G.