[Tutor] Python at my work

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Thu Dec 3 23:07:06 CET 2009

Playing Devil's Advocate here...

<skrabbit at comcast.net> wrote

> - Clean easy to read syntax
> - Easy to learn

But if the rest already know Perl that's not such a
compelling argument.

> - Object Oriented as needed
> - Large community

Yep, Perl does that too.

> - Multi-platform

Yep, Perl too.

> - Fits in your head

Hmmm.... I know what you mean but I'm not sure a Perl fan would
understand what that means.

> - Batteries included
> - Large library(Cheese Shop)

Perl fans would say the same - CPAN is bigger and easier to
use than the CheeseShop, we can't really argue that point.

> Anything else?

The main advantage over Perl is its suitability for large scale
programming - packages as well as simple modules - and
maybe ease of integration with Java via Jython if that matters
(I think there is a Java Perl but I'm not sure how mature it is)

And of course Perl fans will trawl out the usual "disadvantages"
of poorer performance and a smaller installed base.
You need to consider the counter arguments when constructing
a case.

HTH,

--
Alan Gauld