[Tutor] Python equivalent to Matlab keyboard function

Tim Goddard timgoddardsemail at gmail.com
Fri Dec 4 23:00:32 CET 2009

> Message: 6
> Date: Fri, 4 Dec 2009 11:57:45 -0500
> From: Kent Johnson <kent37 at tds.net>
> To: Tim Goddard <timgoddardsemail at gmail.com>
> Cc: tutor at python.org
> Subject: Re: [Tutor] Python equivalent to Matlab keyboard function
>
> On Fri, Dec 4, 2009 at 11:10 AM, Tim Goddard <timgoddardsemail at gmail.com> wrote:
>> This is probably an easy one.
>>
>> When I was writing Matlab m-files, I really enjoyed the ability to
>> stop the code to check how values were being stored or to 'step' into
>> a function with the keyboard function.
>>
>> I have numerous 'environments'? as part of Python (x,y) including
>> IDLE, Eclipse, and Spyder.
>>
>> I know that Spyder is very Matlab esque, but I prefer to use Eclipse
>> as my programs up to this point have not been mathematics based.
>>
>> To do what I want In Spyder I paste a portion of my program and click
>> the run icon. ?The interactive console then allows me to proceed
>> through the next lines manually so that I can get real-time feedback.
>> This is really helpful in understanding what I'm doing with OOP as I'm
>> learning from a book and would like to follow along just like it is
>> written which is usually a few lines at a time.
>>
>> Is there a way in Eclipse to do the same thing so I am not switching
>> between environments? ?When I try the same thing it just terminates at
>> the end of the code.
>
> I'm not really sure what you are doing in Spyder but you should be
> able to do what you want in PyDev using the debugger or the
> interactive console.
>
> Kent

Right,

My problem is I can't run the code in the interactive console.  I'm
sure this is a configuration issue in eclipse.  Copy and pasting the
code into an interactive console window results in a bunch of errors
that aren't really there.  Running the code normally results in
termination once it reaches the end.  IDLE and Spyder are meant for
python so there is no setup, and I can interact with the program as it
remains 'running'.

I guess I'll have to spend some time reading more about eclipse and
getting the interactive feature working.