[Tutor] SMTP Module Help

Chris Babcock cbabcock at asciiking.com
Wed Jan 7 17:17:47 CET 2009

On Wed, 07 Jan 2009 15:47:25 +0100
Ole Henning Jensen <tjampman at gmail.com> wrote:

> Marco Petersen wrote:
> > I'm using Python 2.5.4. I wanted to try out the SMTP module. I
> > tried to send an email through my Gmail account but it keeps saying
> > that the connection was refused.

> > error: (10061, 'Connection refused')
> >

> > Can anyone help me with this?
> >

> I must admit that I know nothing of the SMTP module, but I do know
> that with gmail you need to use an SSL secure connection on port 995.

Yes, 995 is the port for POPS. For inbound mail, you probably want to
use IMAPS on port 993. The original question is about SMTP, however.

Google is offering SMTP submission over TLS on ports 465 and 587. Port
465 was defined as SMTP over SSL in some reference works, but the IETF
still has it listed for a router protocol. Port 587 has been reserved
for mail submission. More importantly for home users, your ISP should
NOT block port 587 (RFC 4409).

Best,
Chris

--

Thank you everyone! USAK is live on its new connection.
So far you have given $198 towards next quarter.

To make a donation, use this link (opens on PayPal):
    http://tinyurl.com/USAK2009