[Tutor] Best Python Editor

Michael Powe michael at trollope.org
Mon Jun 15 20:50:33 CEST 2009

On Mon, Jun 15, 2009 at 06:30:50AM -0700, johnf wrote:
> On Sunday 14 June 2009 07:31:53 pm Michael Powe wrote:

> > However, I will say that while following this thread, it occurred to
> > me that the one feature that VS and even the VBA editor in MS Office
> > has, is the ability to pop you into the debugger on error.  This
> > feature is so useful that it surprises me nobody else seems to do it.
> > Most often, simply the ability to jump to the error line is provided
> > and I suppose that must be generally acceptable.

> Wing does.  When error occurs it stops on the line and the programmer is
> working in the debugger.

Hello,

I'll have to look at that.

I have a kind of collection of editors -- the way I collect books, I
guess.  TextPad, vbsEdit, UltraEdit, SciTE, XmlCopyEditor, EditPlus,
emacs.  I never do anything with vi except munge conf files.

For actual "projects" I use VS and NetBeans.  When I get on a "back to
basics" kick, I re-enter emacs.  It used to be a joke about emacs not
being an editor but an operating system.  There is nothing on the
linux side that even comes close, IMO.  I don't like GUI-based stuff,
though, so right off, any editor built on the assumption that I'm a
mouse-oriented user is right out.

Thanks.

mp