[Tutor] Best Python Editor

Emile van Sebille emile at fenx.com
Wed Jun 17 01:46:16 CEST 2009

On 6/15/2009 12:14 PM Michael Powe said...
> On Mon, Jun 15, 2009 at 06:34:04AM -0700, Emile van Sebille wrote:
>> I'm wondering if there might be documented benefits to migrating from my
>> horse and buggy.  :)
>
> Are you in a hurry to get somewhere?  ;-)

If 20 LOC/day is average nowadays, how fast do you need to be going?

> I recently worked on a module for a large existing Java application.
> The module I wrote had to be plugged in to the existing code base.  So
> of course, I had to have all kinds of tie-ins to existing libraries
> and classes.  First, I couldn't run the full application, so I had to
> rely on unit testing to verify my functionality.  Second, I had to
> connect to hundreds of classes inside the application.  I'm not that
> smart -- I could not have done it without NetBeans, which has
> fantastic introspection and can tell me most of the ways I'm violating
> protocol while I'm working.

This is a good use case.  Unfortunately, I'm still supporting several
30-35 year old 250k line basic applications and associated glue apps
that don't play nice with modern tools.  <sigh>  And each time I've
considered switching (for the glue bits), the time to become productive
with a new tool was taking as long as the project estimated time to
implement and so it just hasn't happened.

> I stubbed out a lot of stuff and prototyped in jEdit.  But when it was
> game on, I had to go to NB.  It probably comes down to, How much stuff
> can you carry in your head?

several 35 year old 250k line basic applications and associated glue
apps :)  Also the names of my kids, but not always in the proper
one-to-one association.  :))

Emile