[Tutor] Should a beginner learn Python 3.x

wesley chun wescpy at gmail.com
Mon Nov 16 08:08:02 CET 2009

>> Should I advise him to
>> stick with 2.6 for a bit, since most of the material out  there will
>> be for 2.x?  Or since he's learning from scratch, should he jump
>> straight to 3.x  In which case what can you recommend for him to work
>> through - I must stress he has absolutely no clue at all about
>> programming, no education beyond 16 yrs old, but is keen to learn.
>
> (While I'm aware this answer may launch sharp replies from some of you, I'll be bold and say what I mean;-)
>
> I guess python is no more a language especially suited for absolute beginners for a while already. It has grown too many features, too much complication and several layers of abstraction. So, my answers would not be py2.6 or py3.1, rather py1.5.

very bold indeed. if learning purely for being introduced to
programming, etc., not work-related, etc., you have an interesting
idea. but even so, you don't have to learn *every* feature of 2.x or
3.x to learn programming. you can just learn the 1.5 syntax.
basically, i'm not going to give a sharp reply, however, it is an
unusual suggestion, but it isn't mind-blowing as there are some
systems out there that are built using 1.5, e.g., the Red Hat
installer, http://www.scons.org ... etc. it also helps keep the 1st
edition of my book "Core Python Programming" alive -- that edition was
written against 1.5.2, 1.6, and 2.0 back in 2000-2001. :-)

cheers,
-- wesley
"Python Web Development with Django", Addison Wesley, (c) 2009
    http://withdjango.com

wesley.j.chun :: wescpy-at-gmail.com
http://cyberwebconsulting.com