[Tutor] Which non SQL Database ?

Jorge Biquez jbiquez at icsmx.com
Sat Dec 4 23:42:36 CET 2010

Hello all.

Newbie question. Sorry.

As part of my process to learn python I am working on two personal
applications. Both will do it fine with a simple structure of data
stored in files. I now there are lot of databases around I can use
but I would like to know yoor advice on what other options you would
consider for the job (it is training so no pressure on performance).
One application will run as a desktop one,under Windows, Linux,
Macintosh, being able to update data, not much, not complex, not many
records. The second application, running behind  web pages, will do
the same, I mean, process simple data, updating showing data. not
much info, not complex. As an excersice it is more than enough I
guess and will let me learn what I need for now.
Talking with a friend about what he will do (he use C only) he
suggest to take a look on dBase format file since it is a stable
format, fast and the index structure will be fine or maybe go with BD
(Berkley) database file format (I hope I understood this one
correctly) . Plain files it is not an option since I would like to
have option to do rapid searches.

What would do you suggest to take a look? If possible available under
the 3 plattforms.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Jorge Biquez