[Tutor] Any recommend of UML tool and UI design tool for python?

Knacktus knacktus at googlemail.com
Sun Dec 12 19:57:57 CET 2010

Am 12.12.2010 19:16, schrieb Alan Gauld:

> "cajsdy" <cajsdy at gmail.com> wrote
>> Either paid or free open source is fine.
>> I'm creating automation frame work. Idealy it includes:
>>
>> test plan management,
>> test manager across windows, unix, linux, solaris and other os.
>> UML documentation for python scripts
>> IDE tool for python on windoes and linux
>> UI design tool for python(best is integrated with IDE)
>
> Eclipse would be the logical choice and there are a few free
> UML editor plug-ins. I've tried one (can't recall the name) and
> although a bit clunky compared to commercoal versions it
> worked fine for small class and sequence diagrams.
>
> If you don't need full CASE modelling facilities someting
> like a drawing tool such as Dia, Visio or Smartdraw might
> suffice.
>
> If you want full CASE features (model validation, simulation,
> code generation, reverse engineering fof diagrams from code, etc)
> then I think you will need to pay - and probably quite a lot! I've
> used both Borland Together and IBM RSA. I prefer Borland
> although IBM produces prettier diagrams - but I found it a
> lot less intuitive. to use. Both come as Eclipse plugins and
> work with whatever version control tools Eclipse is using.
>
> There are other standalone UML tools too but it depends how
> much of UML you want to use. If it's only a few basic class diagrams,
> sequence diagrams and state diagrams then prettty much
> anything will do. If you need to get into the more structural
> aspects of UML (deployment diagrams, components, nested states,
> activity charts, use-cases etc) then you might want to look at
> paying out some money.

If you're willing to pay for a CASE tool then check out Enterprise
Architect from http://sparxsystems.eu/
For the massive features I think it's reasonable priced (professional
edition for 165 Euro + VAT).
UML-Source Code integration with Python ... I don't know if it really
works. You would need to limit your code to pure OO-style. Such
integration might work with Java and C# (Enterprise Architect can do
this: Change code -> update UML and vice versa). Nevertheless.
Enterprise Architect supports Python for reverse engineering.

For designing UIs: You will need another tool. It depends on your GUI
toolkit. If you're planning to use PyQt  as GUI toolkit (which I can
only highly recommend) you're lucky. It has GUI designer, which is quite
nice.