[Tutor] Choice of Python

Jeff Johnson jeff at dcsoftware.com
Tue Dec 28 19:52:21 CET 2010

On 12/28/2010 10:46 AM, Marc Tompkins wrote:
> I love, love, love me some Python - it fits the way I think better
> than any other language I've used - but there is one consideration
> that occurs to me: Python is nearly ubiquitous on Linux/Mac, and easy
> to download and install on Windows - but most bargain-basement Web
> hosts don't support it (I'm looking at YOU, GoDaddy.)
>
> If you're using a premium hosting company ("premium" doesn't
> necessarily mean "extremely expensive", but you do need to compare
> hosting plans), or if you plan on hosting your site yourself, then I
> would absolutely recommend Python (with or without Django or
> what-have-you) for Web development... but if you plan on using
> GoDaddy, stick with PHP.

I have been a software developer since the 70's.  I have used most of
the major languages.  I used FoxPro for the last 20 years and have
recently moved to Python.  I absolutely love working with Python!
Everything works, deployment is easy, and with all of the libraries
available; there isn't much you can't do.  I now develop on Ubuntu even
though my customers (and deployment) are Windows.

Check out Webfaction for a hosting company.  They are probably the
largest Django host, but using their control panel to do things is very
easy!  I have been using them for over two years.

Jeff

Jeff Johnson
jeff at dcsoftware.com