[Tutor] A file containing a string of 1 billion random digits.

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Mon Jul 19 19:42:15 CEST 2010

"Richard D. Moores" <rdmoores at gmail.com> wrote

> The formatting operations described here are obsolete and may go
> away
> in future versions of Python. Use the new String Formatting in new
> code.
>
> I hope that use of '*' does disappear. It's the most confusing thing
> I've recently tried to get my mind around!

But knowing C's printf style formatting is almost a necessary skill
for a programmer because they are used in lots of lamguages
not just Python. So you would only need to learn them later is all!
:-)

Note: This is one reason I decided to stick with the % format strings
in my v3 tutor - I'nm aiming to teach generic skills and % formatting
is much more generic than the new Python style formatting. (And
much less verbose!)

> Before that, maybe, was the Trinity..

Nah, that still wins - a divine mystery :-)

--
Alan Gauld
Author of the Learn to Program web site