[Tutor] Problems installing

Marc Tompkins marc.tompkins at gmail.com
Wed Jun 30 08:30:10 CEST 2010

On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 10:35 PM, Andrew Martin <amartin7211 at gmail.com>wrote:

> I just downloaded Python 2.6.5 onto my windows vista laptop. I am
> attempting to install "escript version 3: Solution of Partial Differential
> Equations (PDE) using Finite Elements (FEM)." I downloaded the files and
> manually placed them in their appropriately place on my computer according
> to the ReadMe file. However, when I try to import escript, I get an error:

> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "<pyshell#0>", line 1, in <module>
>     import esys.escript
> ImportError: Bad magic number in
> C:\Python26\lib\site-packages\esys\escript\__init__.pyc
> >>>

> Can anybody lend me a hand?
>
> I don't know anything about escript, I'm afraid, but try this  - .pyc files
are always replaceable, as long as the .py or .pyw files they correspond to
still exist.  So delete __init__.pyc (I'm assuming that there's also a
__init__.py file) and try again.

Of course, this is only a solution if the problem is a corrupt .pyc file,
which I've run into on a couple of occasions.  If it's something else...

Hope that helps.

--
www.fsrtechnologies.com