[Tutor] a quick Q: how to use for loop to read a series of files with .doc end

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Fri Oct 7 20:55:05 CEST 2011

On 07/10/11 16:40, lina wrote:

> but today I was also discouraged, I was told that you should not have
> learned python, you should focus on C or bash, or D, cause python is
> going to be obsolete,

C is a great language for writing Operating Systems and other "near the
metal" code. But its not the best language for busiess apps, artificial
intelligence and a host of other things. Bash is a good user shell, but
its not even the best Unix shell for scripting (Thats probably ksh).
D? Who actually uses D? I think your informant was not well informed.

AS fopr Python becoming obsolete? Maybe someday, but not soon.
And even if it does the principles it teaches are alive and well in many
other languages - eg, Ruby, Lua both openly borrow from Python.
Just as Python borrows from Lisp and Haskell and Smalltalk and Perl.

 > I was further told that fortran is obsolete, but still lots of
 > fortran guys using it.

Absolutely and Lisp and COBOL ghave both been predicted to die for
decades but are still marching on. It is very difficult to kill a
popular language because the thing that made it popular keeps it
alive.

Ignore rumours and focus on programming. Don't worry about languages,
once you know one you'll usually pick up another very quickly. They come
and go in fashion but the concepts remain constant. Most programmers
work in multiple languages, often even in a single
project.

--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site