[Tutor] Getting started with PyGTK [Receiving Error]

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Sun Apr 29 01:23:05 CEST 2012

On 28/04/12 23:48, Santosh Kumar wrote:
> System Information
> ----------------------------
> Ubuntu 11.10
> Python 2.7.2
>
> Problem
> ------------
>
> I think my Ubuntu has PyGTK and GTK both already installed.

You should be able to confirm that by checking in Synaptic.

> however when I am importing "gtk" in Python interactive mode then I am
> getting the following warning:
>
> (.:4126): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in
> module_path: "pixmap",
>
> On the other side, importing "PyGTK" works well. What might be error?

What exactly does that mean? Do you mean yhou get no errors? Does it
mean you can execute some sample code?

The warnings above may not be serious, does gtk work in the sense of
executing code? What happens if youi do help(gtk) ?

However, Gtk is not a mainstream package for beginners to Python and not
part of the standard library and that's what this list is focused on.
You might get more detailed help on a pygtk forum, or maybe even a
generic GTk forum since the error probably refers to some basic GTk
feature. It certainly isn't a pure python issue.

This page has some suggestions:

http://www.pygtk.org/feedback.html

--
Alan G