[Tutor] How to present python experience (self-taught) to potential employer

Amit Saha amitsaha.in at gmail.com
Fri Aug 23 05:56:49 CEST 2013

On Fri, Aug 23, 2013 at 1:52 PM, Jing Ai <jai633 at g.rwu.edu> wrote:
> @Amit
> Thank you for your suggestions!  I'll look into the data there and see if
> there's something relevant that I can use to do a project.  Yes I believe it
> would involve some data analysis (and I may need to learn R as well or use
> RPy).  Do you think one project is sufficient to demonstrate my skills if
> it's in-depth? Or does it take several projects?

Hmm I am not sure. But, depends on how much time you have. If you can
do one "big" project that demonstrates a number of your skills - use
of Python and one or more of the scientific libraries, that perhaps
speaks fair bit about what you know. Also, consider  using version
control for your projects and of course, unit testing. I also suggest
looking into Sphinx for documentation of your project. They also
demonstrate that you know some of the things that you need to beyond
just writing programs.

Best of luck.
-Amit.