[Tutor] Thanks a bunch (was Re: Tutor Digest, Vol 118, Issue 64)

Walter Prins wprins at gmail.com
Sat Dec 14 16:16:58 CET 2013

Hi,

On 14 December 2013 03:31, Steven D'Aprano <steve at pearwood.info> wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 13, 2013 at 02:24:15PM -0500, eryksun wrote:
>> On Fri, Dec 13, 2013 at 12:47 PM, Mark Lawrence <breamoreboy at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>> > Did you really have to send an entire digest, without changing the title,
>> > just to send this one line?
>>
>> Gmail's composer top posts unless the text to quote is selected
>> beforehand.
> [...]
>
> This explains the faux pas, it doesn't excuse it. Gmail is, in my
> opinion, a *terrible* mail client. It makes what should be easy hard,
> what should be hard impossible, and encourages the dumbing down of
> communication.
>
> It is bad enough that non-technical people cannot control their email
> beyond clicking "Forward" and "Reply". But when people who have

You have the option to Forward, Reply or Reply-all, not just Forward or Reply.

> expectations of being programmers cannot even control what they send out
> as an email, well, that's just shameful. And Google has to take a large
> part of the blame for that.

Gmail matches the format of the sender.  If I reply to a text format
email, the reply is text format.  If the original is HTML mail, it
replies in HTML format.  In that sense it talks back and respects the
sender on their terms.  Also, there is a drop down (right bottom) with
which it's trivial to change from one format to the other.

Walter