[Tutor] loop through hours to calc max and plot

ALAN GAULD alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Thu Mar 20 02:15:21 CET 2014

Forwarding to the list.
Use ReplyAll when responding to ensure maximum responses.

Alan Gauld
Author of the Learn To Program website
http://www.alan-g.me.uk/

>________________________________

Its hard to give specific help since I don't know the file format
>>>and most of your code is using non standard-library modules.
>>>
>>>A couple of suggestions would be to
>>>1) convert the code into a few functions each doing one
>>>   specific job. For example the plotting code and the
>>>   reading code could be separated out. That makes it
>>>   easier to read the overall program flow and easier
>>>   to test those individual functions if you change them.
>>>2) You have quite a few redundant or misplaced assignments
>>>   going on, or things happening inside loops that
>>>   shouldn't be. Again removing the surplus just makes
>>>   the rest of the code easier to grasp.
>>>

>>>I have found a way for this to work for a couple of the hours (see

If you put the code into smaller functions that will simplify the design of your bigger program. Each function should have one clear purpose and be as standalone as possible. It should take in the
>>>date it needs as parameters and pass back a value.
>>>

>>>from netCDF4 import Dataset

>>>map =
>>>>

>>>ncvariablename='T_SFC'

Why aren't these with the other initialization code above?

>>>cmap=plt.cm.jet
>>>>

>>>all_variabledata=[]
>>>>
>>>Why aren't these with the other initialization code above?
>>>

>>>for (path, dirs, files) in os.walk(MainFolder):

this appears to be in the loop but its the same
>>>value each time so you repeat the same assignment
>>>over and over.
>>>

>>>for ncfile in files:

Indentation seems to have gotten lost in email transit.
>>>Maybe you didn't post in plain text?
>>>

>>>#combine all data from the chosen variable to make one array for analyses

This is a really bad idea. You are using the same variabvle name to hold the collection you iterate over then reassigning it to the items within the loop. Why not just use i (but use a better name!) within
>>>the loop body rather than reassign it?
>>>
>>>And if you must reassign it use a name other than the one you already used for the collection. Using the same name in two different ways
>>>is a recipe for confusion.
>>>

>>>timestr=str(ncfiletime)

another constant assignment that could be in the
>>>initialization code section
>>>

>>>plt.title(plottitle)
>>>>

>>>l,b,w,h =0.1,0.1,0.8,0.8

why repeat the previous assignment?

Note the repetition of the code. Make these lines