[Tutor] interface

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Mon Dec 14 17:39:32 EST 2015

Alex Kleider <akleider at sonic.net> writes:

> I'd be interested in any comments regarding this idea and would be
> grateful for any suggestions as to frameworks that might be helpful.

The collected wisdom of the community includes this page at the Python
wiki <URL:https://wiki.python.org/moin/GuiProgramming>, and a brief
comparison of toolkits is at
<URL:https://wiki.python.org/moin/GUI%20Programming%20in%20Python>.

> I've been looking at django but finding the learning curve to be steep
> and it may not be the best solution.

That seems a reasonable assessment; if you just want a UI for a
not-particularly-website program, Django may be a poor fit.

> Of late I've been using Python3; my platform is Ubuntu 14.4.

I recommend you start with the default, heavily-documented Tkinter
<URL:https://docs.python.org/3/library/tkinter.html> and the Ttk
extension <URL:https://docs.python.org/3/library/tkinter.ttk.html>. Both
of these are part of the Python 3 system in Ubuntu.

You can find a good guide to Tk programming in Python as one stream of
the excellent <URL:http://www.tkdocs.com/>.

--
 \        “If you have the facts on your side, pound the facts. If you |
  `\     have the law on your side, pound the law. If you have neither |