[Tutor] Wondering about a project

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Mon Feb 2 17:30:01 CET 2015

On 02/02/15 13:45, dw wrote:
> Hi Python gang.
> In my Ubuntu system, I'm pondering a first GUI Python project:
> 1) Prompt for a user input string.
>      The intended string would be a youtube URL
> 2) Call youtube-dl to download the file
> 3) When the file is downloaded, call GnomePlayer or VLC to play the file
>
> I'm new at Python and haven't built a GUI application yet.
> I wonder if this project would be over my head?
> Perhaps I should attempt to build it in terminal mode first?

Its usually a good idea to build a command line version first
and in this case I'd say essential. The GUI bit is so trivial
compared to the back end section that it should be simple - an
input box and a button or two. Its much easier to build a GUI
on top of something you know works, especially when you are
new to GUIs!

Your biggest choice is which GUI framework to use. Tkinter is the
standard library option but wxPython, PyGTK and PyQt/pySide are
also popular although third party downloads.

--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site