[Tutor] Integrating TDD into my current project work-flows

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Wed May 6 00:49:06 CEST 2015

On 05/05/15 22:24, WolfRage wrote:

> As I am reading about TDD and unittests and the likes. I am thinking
> that testing from a "higher" level is better as compared to the "unit"
> level testing.

Not better, just necessary. The two concepts are complementary.
You need both. The developer primarily needs unit testing, the
integrator*(who may of course be the developer in a different
role) needs integration testing and the client/project manager
needs system testing and acceptance testing. They are all part
of a project (especially big/commercial projects)

> It seems to me that in order to get the benefits of testing I need to
> have less test code that will actually test more of my real code. I am
> seeing many potential names for this concept (Blackbox Automated
> Testing; System Level Test; API Level Tests) and would like your inputs
> on it.

Don't underestimate the scale of testing. It is not unusual to
have more test code than functional code! (although it is still
the exception!) In real-world commercial projects testing (and
the associated debugging) typically consumes about 25-40% of
the total project budget. Baseline coding by contrast is only
about 10-25%, sometimes much less.

--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site