[Tutor] What is meaning of "/" in "pow(x, y, z=None, /)"?

boB Stepp robertvstepp at gmail.com
Tue Aug 1 21:06:58 EDT 2017

I had typed help(pow) in the interpreter and got:

<quote>
py3: help(pow)
Help on built-in function pow in module builtins:

pow(x, y, z=None, /)
    Equivalent to x**y (with two arguments) or x**y % z (with three arguments)

    Some types, such as ints, are able to use a more efficient algorithm when
    invoked using the three argument form.
</quote>

A quick scan of some of my Python books does not turn up the use of
"/" as a function argument.  I have a nagging feeling I've read about
this somewhere previously, but I cannot bring it to mind, and I have
yet to stumble on a search that brings up an answer (Yet.).

TIA!
--
boB