[Tutor] Update Python 3.9.16 from Python 3.9.13

Mats Wichmann mats at wichmann.us
Tue Dec 27 12:11:32 EST 2022

On 12/26/22 02:26, Dennis Nguyen via Tutor wrote:
> Hi Tutors,
>
> I understand that there is no installers file to install python 3.9.16, we must install python 3.9.13.
> My question: could we able to install security fixes 3.9.16 on a windows VM which currently install 3.9.13.
>
> Regarding with this link https://www.python.org/downloads/release/python-3916/, I am able to download oython-3.9.16.tgz. After downloaded, I extracted the file, but I have no idea how to install this patch.
>
> Could you please instruct us how to patch security fix?

You need to build Python for yourself if you want a version that doesn't
have installers built for it.  On Windows, this is not entirely trivial.

The canoncial location for insructions is here:

https://devguide.python.org/

There's a rather more targeted blurb here (which I think the developer
guide points to):

https://github.com/python/cpython/blob/main/PCbuild/readme.txt#L57