[Tutor] Creating menu shortcut key bindings

David bouncingcats at gmail.com
Thu Jun 1 07:35:26 EDT 2023

On Thu, 1 Jun 2023 at 04:16, Phil <phillor9 at gmail.com> wrote:

> What I have is a file menu with open and exit options that I've created
> with pygubu, which works perfectly. Now I'm trying to add a shortcut key
> (ctl + o) to open a file.

>          # Bind the shortcut key to the menu item
>          self.mainwindow.bind('<Control-o>', lambda event: open_menu_item.invoke()) # no error here

Hi,

Your '<Control-o>' is what Tk calls an event sequence [1].

Your event sequence does not specify any event type [2].

Some event sequences allow the event type to be omitted
for brevity. For example [3]:
  'x' is the same as '<KeyPress-x>'

However, I suspect that what you have might not be recognised.
Looking at working code I have here (without actually
testing what you have) I see that I have:
  '<Control-KeyPress-o>'

Maybe try that.

[1] https://tkdocs.com/shipman/event-sequences.html
[2] https://tkdocs.com/shipman/event-types.html