[Types-sig] VB Types

David Ascher da@ski.org
Thu, 2 Dec 1999 20:53:00 -0800 (Pacific Standard Time)

On Thu, 2 Dec 1999, Paul Prescod wrote:

> Guido van Rossum wrote:
> >
> > > Here's an approach that we didn't try because it is likely to be wildly
> > > unpopular:
> >
> > Why would it be unpopular?
>
> Stealing ideas from Visual Basic? Shudder!

Nobody's got to know outside of these four walls. =)

> The declarations are totally optional. If you don't declare something
> then it is a "Variant" which is a grab-bag like void * or PyObject. So
> the semantics of an untyped program are similar to Pythons: [...]

Sounds quite a bit like JimH's proposal @ IPC7 (or was it 6?).  He got
booed, IIRC, but that was just an emotional reaction, methinks. =)

How does VB handle specifying types which are not one of the atomic types?
(e.g. list of (tuple or dictionaries) of length 5 or fewer?)

--david