[Types-sig] The Types-SIG is comatose. Let's retire it.

Jim Fulton jim@digicool.com
Fri, 03 Dec 1999 09:27:38 -0500

Guido van Rossum wrote:

> It's time for the twice yearly ritual of looking for comatose SIGs.
> From the archives, it looks like the types-sig is the only dud amongst
> the crowd: all other SIGs are doing well (some are doing *extremely*
> well, like the doc-sig and the matrix-sig).
>
> The types-sig hasn't had traffic since August (4 messages) and in all
> of 1999 it has only has 12 messages.
>
> Type-sig, what do you have to say for yourself?

As others have pointed out, there is clear evidence that the
SIG is inactive and should be deactivated.

I was a bit frustrated that the SIG tried to address three topics that
I consider independent:

  - Interfaces

  - Classes vs types

  - Static typing

This hurt the focus of the sig and emotion from some topics
tended to bleed over to others.  For example, I think the
interfaces work was hurt by association with the typing
work.

I'll find some time over the next few days to try to
sumarize and report on work in the sig on the first two
topics. Perhaps someone else will do the same for static
typing.

Even if the SIG goes away, I think some report on the SIGs
activity should be made at IPC8 (assuming there is a SIG
status discussion).

Jim

repeats.