[Types-sig] RE: [meta-sig] The Types-SIG is comatose. Let's retire it.

Jim Fulton jim@digicool.com
Fri, 03 Dec 1999 12:55:12 -0500

Martijn Faassen wrote:

> Paul Prescod wrote:
> >
> > > taking-no-more-from-this-than-that-a-successful-sig-needs-a-
> > >     focused-charter-ly y'rs  - tim
> >
> > I propose that the types sig be re-commissioned with a much tighter
> > commission. Let's focus on ONE of the three problems listed in our old
> > charter:
> >
> > http://www.python.org/sigs/types-sig/

I really agree with this.

> > And let's start with a clear direction from the Powers that Be.
> >
> > I propose:
> >
> >  * the goal is a optional static type system for version 2.
>
> Okay, I'll assume this goal for now. I'd like to see something happen
> with interfaces too, but I'll just assume/hope that an interface
> proposal will arise 'naturally' from any static type system we come up
> with.

I intend to summarize the interfaces discussion and report back.
I also intend to go ahead and release the interface implementation
based on requirements that we agreed to at Spam7 and mostly agreed to
in the SIG.  We'll also start folding it into Zope.  Based on actual
experience using it, we'll have a basis for future discussions. I
desperately hope these future discussions happen somewhere other than
the reinvented types sig.

> >  * presume that the type/class dichotomy has been removed in V2
>
> Gladly. So, what does this mean in practice? A particular class is
> another
> type? I don't want to accidentally start the discussion on the dichotomy
> itself
> here, I just want to know what Python 2 is like in practice. For now
> I'll
> assume that if I declare a class in Python 2, that class becomes a type.

I vaguely remember agreement on a number of issues. As I said in a previous
post, I'll try to summarise the progress made and report back. We can decide
what to do based on that. (Alternatively, if someone else wants to summarize
that's OK with me.)

(snip, I don't really care that much about static typing, except that
 I'm generally wary of it. ;)

Jim

repeats.