[Types-sig] Re: Static typing considered HARD

Paul Prescod paul@prescod.net
Mon, 13 Dec 1999 10:56:52 -0500

Stephen Purcell wrote:

> This is a cut-down version of a real and justifiable example. Try doing
> that in Java with reflection and without resorting to 'instanceof' or
> 'Class.isInstance()'.

What you're saying is that I can't emulate Python's dynamic features
without using Java's dynamic features. I would agree with that assertion
-- but I'm not convinced it is relevant. instanceof is part of the
language core and isInstance is a reflective feature.

There are only two countries in the world that have not ratified the
United
Nations convention on the rights of children:
Somalia and the United States of America.  See: http://www.boes.org/