[Types-sig] Global analysis - anything available?

Guido van Rossum guido@CNRI.Reston.VA.US
Wed, 15 Dec 1999 10:48:42 -0500

> Guido wrote:
>
> > Jim Hugunin did global analysis on the pystone.py module -- 250 lines
> > containing 14 functions and one class with two methods.  (He may actually
> > have left out the class, but I'm pretty sure he did everything else.)  He
> > got a 1000x speedup, which I think should be a pretty good motivator for
> > those interested in (OPT).
>
> Did anything concrete fall out of this exercise?  Did Jim write code or do
> it manually?

He write Python code that would do this in general, with a limited
subset of Python as input.  Since Jim left the project it has not been
taken to the next step, but I'm sure Barry has Jim's code somewhere.