[Types-sig] Handling attributes

Martijn Faassen m.faassen@vet.uu.nl
Thu, 16 Dec 1999 16:14:21 +0100

Greg Stein wrote:

> On Wed, 15 Dec 1999, Paul Prescod wrote:
> > > Yes. My reluctance to specify types for instance variables is caused by
> > > problems with designing a nice, inline syntax for it. If you're not
> > > worrying about an inline syntax, then you can definitely add typedecls for
> > > instance and class attributes.
> >
> > Okay, but what about all of the other questions (updated slightly):
>
> I didn't reply to them because I didn't really have much of an opinion :-)
>
> In general, I might say: punt. Don't worry about that stuff right now.
> Worry about phase 1. Refining assignment behavior can come later, as that
> "should" be independent of what occurs in the first phase.

I'll note that this fits in with my agenda; I was thinking about
worrying about a single module for now, that has full static type
annotations. You can then ignore a lot of the problems you get when
interfacing with non-annotated modules. If you want to use things
(functions, classes) from other modules, you can put in temporary
annotations for them, but not in those modules; you put them in the
module that's using them (see again my response to Guido's challenge for
examples). Basically you define not only the module's interface seen
from the outside, but also how the module interfaces with the other
modules on the inside. You define *all* interfacing in any direction
that the module is involved in.

Regards,

Martijn