[Types-sig] What is the Essence of Python? (Was: Low-hanging fruit: recognizing builtins)

Golden, Howard GoldenH@littoncorp.com
Thu, 16 Dec 1999 09:21:49 -0800

Paul Prescod wrote:

> "Golden, Howard" wrote:

> > I reiterate that we should define what is the essence of Python, so we
know
> > what sort of dynamicism and flexibility we are trying to preserve, and
what
> > is superfluous.  Until we do this, we are dealing with a squishy set of
> > requirements.

> I think that that is always the case in language design. What one person
> hates is what another loves: even in Python! I don't know how to answer
> your question. I think that we can only argue about particular features
> "when we get to them."

Then I am suggesting an "Annotated Python Reference Manual" to act as a
taxonomy of the features.  This could become the basis for our arguments!

> Most people probably do not use dynamicity to the same extent as the
> real power users but on the other hand they are the ones who are most
> fanatical about the language.

Again, I hope someone will suggest some good examples for me to study.

- Howard