[Types-sig] Module Attribute visibility

Paul Prescod paul@prescod.net
Thu, 16 Dec 1999 17:28:38 -0800

Greg Stein wrote:

> IMO, let's solve static type checking. Leave visibility and modification
> rules to another phase. They are orthogonal problems, and we would do well
> to reduce our problem set (and the amount of discussion thereby
> engendered (my 25 cent word for the day :-)).

They are not orthogonal at all. I can't statically check a file that
uses sys.version unless I know that sys.version has not been overwritten
with a string. We can't allow the runtime system to violate the
expectations of the static type engine. We also don't want every user of
sys.version to need to assert its type.

Three things never trust in: That's the vendor's final bill
The promises your boss makes, and the customer's good will
http://www.geezjan.org/humor/computers/threes.html