[Types-sig] Issue: definition of "type"

Paul Prescod paul@prescod.net
Mon, 20 Dec 1999 10:22:48 -0600

Martijn Faassen wrote:

> Doesn't this rely on run-time information? How would a type system deal
> with this? I suppose I'm entering the domain of interfaces now...

Yes, that is the role of interfaces. Nobody has yet suggested that the
code you described would be type-safe. The two doSomething methods are
unrelated.

The occasional act of disrespect for the American flag creates but a
flickering insult to the values of democracy -- unless it provokes
America into limiting the freedoms that are its hallmark.
           -- Paul Tash, executive editor of the St. Petersburg Times