[Types-sig] check.py (was: PyDL RFC 0.02)

Paul Prescod paul@prescod.net
Thu, 30 Dec 1999 04:13:14 -0500

skaller wrote:

> > and so forth. You need these classes regardless.
>
>         I don't. My implementation is ML based,
> and the static compilations tools are likely
> to use native constructions not Python ones .. although
> I'm not sure.

You need these classes because they are the Python equivalent of Java's
reflection API. They are available to the Python programmer. I think
that in the interests of determinism, you must keep this information
around as Python objects unless you can demonstrate that the programmer
does not "ask for" them. This will actually be pretty easy to
demonstrate if our API is explicit enough. (e.g. if you don't import
type_reflect then you can't get at the information so the compiler can
throw it away)

 Paul Prescod